Breakfast, some days, deserves to be better than usual. I would not call myself a person extremely focused on healthy eating, but once in a while it feels good to feed yourself something that one can consider healthier than the usual breads and cheeses and biscuits. I love Greek yogurt parfait since the very first time I tried it. There was a strange goodness I felt in the combination of yogurt and crunchy granola, something that felt right in the morning. It also helps matters that I have a sweet-tooth so I really like sweet breakfasts.
So I went ahead and created an “Eclectic” version of the parfait. Why eclectic? ‘Coz unlike regular bowls of parfait, this one is loaded with eclectic ingredients that enrich the taste, texture and also, the nutritional value of a regular parfait bowl.
Some people also like to call it a smoothie bowl, so you can also call it that if the name catches your fancy and makes you feel any better about indulging in this bowl of goodness!
- Banana – one
- Greek yogurt – 3-4 tablespoons (I used flavourless, you can also use any other fruit flavored yogurt, but then the combination may end up being too sweet, so I caution you beforehand!)
- Chia seeds – 1 teaspoonful, to be soaked beforehand in 2 tablespoons of water till it blooms
For the granola
- Rolled oats – 2 tablespoons
- A teaspoon of honey
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Almonds – 8-10
- Mixed superseeds – pumpkin and sunflower – a tablespoonful
- First, let’s make the granola. I am sharing a simple recipe that you can make in a regular microwave. You just need to mix up all the wet ingredients (water, honey, oil) in a large microwave safe bowl. Add in the salt and mix well.
- To this, simply add your rolled oats, almonds and mixed seeds and mix till it all combines really well. All the oat should be covered with the liquid.
- Now, just keep this bowl in the microwave and heat on full power for about 1.5 minutes. Take it out, stir up the contents to distribute the heat, and then repeat the process. In about 5-6 minutes of total cooking time, you will get lovely, crunchy, toasted granola. All the oat will turn slightly brown in color (you can go as brown as you like, some may like it less caramelized, while some may prefer a more toasted granola) and all the nuts & seeds will get lovely and toast up and smell amazing. So your granola is ready to be plated for the eclectic Parfait!
Assembling the granola
- In a large cereal bowl, drop in the yogurt. Drizzle a bit of honey onto it if you want.
- Next, decorate with slices of banana. You can add any fruit of your choice here, I personally love bananas.
- Now, onto a side, spoon in the granola and top with more nuts of your choice.
- Onto another side, decorate with chia seeds.
There you go! It’s as simple as that. A pretty healthy breakfast or evening snack option for those with a sweet tooth! It is loaded with fibre from oats and fruit, calcium from yogurt and antioxidants from the chia seeds. I call it eclectic because the bowl looks like a party!
Do try and let me know in comments how you made your own bowl.
Also check out my recipe for this lovely guilt-free indulgence loaded with good nutrients – Flaxseed Candy Recipe